Tuesday 24 April 2012

TAG TUESDAY, PURPLE AND STEAMPUNK

This weeks theme for Tag Tuesday is the colour purple.  After painting the tag with a plum coloured emulsion paint and spraying it with walnut ink I decided it had a night feel to it.
That  meant one thing to me - moths!
So here is the finished tag, with inspiration drawn from the Steampunk movement.



Steampunk is a genre that gained prominence in the 1980's, and took inspiration from authors such as  H.G.Wells and Jules Verne.  It involves a setting where steam power is still used, but includes elements of science fiction/fantasy - a Victorian vision of futuristic innovations!


This is a fairly recent purchase of mine - a wonderful book on Steampunk - it is crammed full of beautiful and interesting images.  It defines the movement as follows:
"Steam Punk is a burgeoning, counter-cultural movement; a genre, community, and art form.  The Steampunk movement seeks to recapture the spirit of invention, adventure, and craftsmanship reminiscent of early nineteenth century industrialization, in part to restore a sense of wonder to a technology-jaded world."


A small piece of Steampunk inspired work I made last year.

4 comments:

  1. I love your tag and your piece from last year! I love the moon on the tag and how the moth looks like it's flying towards it. Your steampunk inspired work is maybe the most sophisticated and elegant steampunk art I've seen. I love steampunk but it's getting so oversaturated with all the stame stuff that it's nice to see someone with a fresh take on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your tag. You are so clever. I like the way your version of Steampunk is so delicate. I saw another piece that you did on an older post and liked that very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tag is SO beautiful - the metal of the watch pieces combined with the delicacy of the moth and the peacefulness of the moon... I love steampunk - I've thought of buying that book - do you recommend it?

    If your friends and family end up with your beautiful tag pieces of art as gifts, they're very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Diana. I love it.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete